PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Could a Share Save Me money?
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2005, 18:32
birdlady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Flyboy

SA..... hmmmm where do I start. I did my JAA PPL at FTC here in Johannesburg and got screwed but got a JAA PPL in the end after much heartache. Then went to Superior Pilot Services at Grand Central (Midrand - between Jhb and Pretoria). Excellent instructors. Unfortunately, SPS was using FTC's aeroplanes so when they went bust (again) they lost all their training aircraft so their using different schools aeroplanes at the mo. I can tell you who to avoid near Jhb (send me a pm as I'll get in trouble again ) SPS is a very good school.
There are many places here who have got excellent reputations. Algoa, Progress, 43rd Air School. I would do a search on here and you can see for yourself. SA is the place to go for PPl and hour building. You may even consider doing an SA CPL and work here for a couple of years either as an instructor or as a bush pilot. This would allow you to build up a few hours before applying to a European airline once you've converted to JAA. The only down side is that its quite tricky getting a work permit here but can be done if your determined enough also some places will orgainise the work permit for you or just not bother with the permit. Im Irish, did my PPl here, went back to Ireland to live, I lasted two months. I missed SA so much I came back. Its a beautiful country (admitedly has a few problems ie. BAD CRIME) and am in the process of applying for permanent residency.
Okie dokie will stop droning on about how wonderful this place is and look at it from a practicle point of view. Flying is relatively inexpensive here ie R650 per hr solo (not sure what that's to the pound rough estimate divide by 12). I think Sk is pretty much spot on with 35 pounds an hour. Weather is great so less no flying days. Always a bonus. You may get the odd thunderstorm and beleive me up here on the highveld they really are something. You may want to go to the coast to avoid these. You get some nasty cross winds aswell but will prepare you for flying in bad weather (I mean lets face it the Uk's weather is bad 95% of the time).The states maybe cheaper for flying but once you factor in living costs, visas etc SA is cheaper. I've never flown in the Uk but Ive heard from lots of different sources that the SA training is very similar to Uk training more so than american. There are some excellent places to visit with stunning scenery. Have I sold you yet????? Well this certainly will - less than a pound for a draft beer

Ill stop blabbering now and again if you want to know where to avoid PM me or any other info for that matter.

Ciao for now
BL