PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Etihad...they gotta be kidding
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2005, 18:32
guybrush

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys/Gals,

You have to remember that in U.A.E you use Dirhams (or Riyals, etc) not Dollars. When you convert the Dollars into the local currency you get a very respectable salary. As ironbutt57 mentions it’s about 41000 which at the end of the day is as big as it sounds, at least in the U.A.E. Keep in mind that many people in the Arab world don't hear about such numbers and that even applies to ministers of some countries. So to a foreigner from the West the salary sounds horrible because it is not enough to cover mortgages, etc back home. But for the Middle East/ Gulf, that is a very good amount of money by any standard.

If you live in the Middle East/Gulf Area you do not need 41000 of any currency from any country to live a decent life (with the possible exception of rent).

About rent and land prices: I don't know about Gulf countries, but in Egypt if you are a foreigner (or an Arab from the Gulf) you pay x2 for anything (because even if you pay twice what an Egyptian/Middle Eastern would pay it still sounds ridiculously cheap), that could explain the expensive rent for some expats.

fractional said: The Gulf is NO longer the golden mine for those who thought so.

Actually it still is for Middle Easterns/ North Africans and maybe Asians (Middle East usually means Egypt, Syria, Lebanon, etc).

Life style is different in the Gulf. New Buildings/ shopping centers/ products. Some products are cheaper than at home. Other products are either not yet present where the expats come from (latest computers/games/home appliances etc) or are manufactured better (chocolates of the same brand could have different tastes!!! Or so my sister says). Well of course there is Modern Architecture in the Middle East and eventually they get the latest products after a few months or so, but everything lacks the glamour of the Gulf.

So perhaps the Gulf isn't the gold mine for Western People but still is for the countries around the Gulf. But the question remains where will they get type rated captains/ first officers from these areas??

Cheers
guybrush

Last edited by guybrush; 11th Jan 2005 at 18:54.