PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Etihad...they gotta be kidding
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2005, 17:02
fractional

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Etihad

Etihad is a good job for anyone in desperate need for a job, willing to build up hrs on types, willing to become a Commander soon rather waiting yrs elsewhere or coming from another Operator where the salary is much less attractive. It's all very personal.
Forget about lifestyles. The lifestyle here only applies to single guys without previous "family liabilities"... For married guys with kids, not single geographically, and as long as the 1st para. does not apply, just forget it for now!!!
Flying a brand new airplane is wonderful and all that nice stuff, but at the end of the month does not pay bills...
From sources on the spot, you've got yr basic salary, your duty allowance (around 22 a month if flying and sby). Education allowance varies a bit. At Secondary level, it's 17,500AEDs annually per child, max 3 children (maybe 18K???). How many schools charge that? The housing allowance is becoming a subsidy if nothing is done soon. Captains get 90 or 95K annually. There are landlords asking for 20 to 30% increases in the rent lease renewals... One can get the ca$h, but remember that is less money. Sharing accommodation is a good way to go for single guys. A move North may be good, but remember things are not cheaper there, and in fact on the way up rapidly.
To my personal disappointment, I wish good luck to those who join Etihad from other operators where the package is less attractive. That's the way things go. One always tries to inprove his own deal. Nothing wrong with it.
Operators want to cut expenses and they look for ways to do so. Whether the practices are rational, it's a different topic. Remember that these things are usually motivated by "bean-counters" in finance depts willing to show short-term results to meet short-term expectations and get immediate bonuses... In the long run they proved to be mistakes...
The Gulf is NO longer the golden mine for those who thought so.
Good luck to all.