PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DXB ATC upgrade
Thread: DXB ATC upgrade
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2005, 09:53
OmanAir

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I understand my post(s) may give grounds for misunderstanding but;

A: I'm not looking for sympathy, just for information. And the opportunity to share some info as well. ferris, as I said, extra fuel is not always an option. I don't think the long haul, and not to mention the ultra long haul flights, arrive with 30 mins of extra fuel.
Speaking for myself, I don't see the need to carry a lot of extra fuel into DXB on a CAVOK day. When the CAVOK forecast changes to actual FOG but the airport remains above CAT 1 I will not make a 180 and head back to MCT right away. Not before doing a MISAP, and by then I may be pretty close to diversion fuel. The decision to divert may not be as clear as you seem to think.
Directs may be nice, but all I need is flight plan route and a level not far off my requested level.

B: I'm trying at all cost to avoid setting myself up for a situation that mandates a Mayday call. I have NO problems making the call if it is necessary.

C: I'm not a minimum fuel person and I will (if possible) carry whatever extra fuel I need to cater for WX, traffic, etc, but I cannot assume fog or CB's every time the forecast says CAVOK.
I've had FOG or severe thunderstorms in MCT, AUH and DXB, all with forecasts showing CAVOK. It doesn't make the planning any easier.