PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DXB ATC upgrade
Thread: DXB ATC upgrade
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2005, 16:00
ferris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look, OmanAir, I sympathise, I know exactly what you are talking about. We work in the same environment, remember (technically, we are NEVER allowed to track an aircraft direct ANYWHERE, and if we do, any unpleasantness falls squarely on us). However, the fuel 'dilemma' is an ongoing issue worldwide that is slowly eroding safety margins. There have been several long-running threads about LHR and fuel on the main board. There have even been suggestions that some airlines routinely "request priority" to jump the queue without any ensuing paperwork.
From your side of the table, IMHO you should view any diverting flight as fuel critical right from the beginning
Maybe. But at the moment we don't, for the reasons given. There would be ramifications, which would have to be looked at.
If I divert, I do not expect vectors way off my diversion plan route, or to be kept 8-10000 ft below my requested FL
This bit worries me. As I said, it may not be possible to give you what you want. eg. diverting a/c into Al Ain held, the other day (the fog day), because several had elected to divert there simultaneously. IMHO your margins are too fine if not getting desired level after you divert will cause a mayday.
ps. Agree, Oman Air are great to work with.

Oh, and Ironbutt, no need to worry about my 'attitude'- I would NEVER put my family on one of your planes. If my family were aboard an A/C, I trust that the PIC had enough of a clue to divert before economics overode safety.
Typical manager's view Ironbutt- write restrictive edicts fully expecting us to break them, day in, day out in order to get the job done, then hang us out to dry if anything ever goes wrong, saying "you knew the rules".