PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DXB ATC upgrade
Thread: DXB ATC upgrade
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2005, 07:09
fart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Radar and flight data processor upgrades

Oman Air,

Ferris is right, it was a radar software upgrade that supposedly includes short term conflict alerts (STCA) and Terrain Warning. The Flight Data Processor is just another computer program that deals with flightplans and its distribution etc.

As far as your diverting problem goes, agree with Ferris, request priority sooner than later, especially when diverting from another field. Had the nasty experience in dubai a few years ago of a diversion from an African country that could not get into OEDM and elected to divert to OMDB. We were on rwy 30 at the time at night during busy arrivals session when the capt inbound via DESDI asked if he could get rwy 12. The answer was a definite no as it would have meant changing runways during busy arrival and departures scenario and a possible tailwind etc. The capt was given the trackmiles from TD about every 2-3 min and after asking him several times what the fuel status was, he finally declared a mayday at about 20 nm west of DB requesting straight in rwy 12. Apart from creating total chaos from ATC point of view, delaying many other departures and arrivals, the aircraft ended up very high on the approach for rwy 12. I think it was something like Fl150 at 15 nm from TD for 12. I think he was keeping as much height at the time to get in on rwy 30 and when finally being fuel critical, he declared a mayday but was now way too high on profile for rwy12. It required some quick thinking on his and our part as we knew that a go-around would have been impossible due to his fuel status. We were not sure whether to S-bend him through final a few times or just spinning him on a 10 nm final. He finally landed safely but was still very high and unstable right to TD. I do not know for a fact, but believe that they had a flame out one one engine taxiing to the stand on this B757. Not to judge, but at the time I felt that his actions displayed extremly poor airmanship and putting his aircraft and px in severe danger. Had he told us earlier about the urgency of the problem, we would gladly have changed the rwy for him and would have vectored the aircraft for a proper profile. Just changing the ILS at the last minute for rwy 12 and them having very little time to brief and set-up for the approach is reason enough to ask early so that we are all prepared for the worst case scenario and can give you a better service in the end. I promise you that the paperwork is not a factor at this stage(ATC/GCAA view) and I cannot comment on the airline procedures, but I am sure where there is a safety culture in the airline, this would be the right think to do.

We work with OMAN AIR crews daily and have always found them to be a very helpful and professional bunch of pilots. I would like to think that you would see controllers in the same light and if there is ever another opportunity where we can assist, don't hesitate to ask! We do it with a smile! We have a lot of respect for both the ATR and B737 crews and thier operating practices, so go ahead and let us know where we can assist.

BUBIN to LOVOL and No Speed Restrictions!!!!!!!!

Cheers
fart