PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Serious Questions about ETOPS FLT
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2005, 20:57
plainsoul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Serious Questions about ETOPS FLT

Happy New Year..

I'm a AirLine First Officer.
And I'm currently working in the Flight Standard Dep.

About ETOPS FLT, Some of our pilots in our company have some opinion discrepencis.

And I need your opinions (or answers) about the following questions based on official published document about ETOPS FLT.
(I really need official documents about this.. not just personal opinion..)

Here's the questions.

1. Is it possible that one flight leg has more than one ETOPS FLT Segments?

2. If multiple ETOPS segments are possible in one flight leg, How many EEP(ETOPS Entry Point)s do we have in this flight ? (The entry point of the First ETOPS Segment is the only EEP? or Every entry point of each ETOPS segment is also EEP ?)

3. If we have more than one EEP, before reaching every EEP do we have to check the suitablilty(WX and etc..) of the enroute alternate airports of the ETOPS segment about to enter ?

4. Before reaching EEP of the first ETOPS segment, do we have to check suitablilty of enroute alternate airports of all the other ETOPS segments also? And in this case, if enroute alternate airports of the first ETOPS segment is suitable but one of the other ETOPS segments' enroute alternate airport is not, (And we can't find any other adequate airport suitable to use) Can we enter the first ETOPS segment ?

5. Let's say we're flying a mutiple ETOPS segmented flight, and now about to reaching the EEP of the last ETOPS segment. We checked WX of the enrount alternate aiport and found out it is below the minimum. And also obviously there is no other adequate airport we can use. Now.. Do we have to divert to nearest suitable airport even if our airplane is completely normal ? Is it illegal to continue the flight to the destinaton airport in captain's discretion ? (What if captain decides it's safer to continue the flight to the destination than to land in a unfamiliar airport in the middle of no where ?)

That'll be all of my questions.

And.. My opinions about above questions is

1. Of course one flight leg can has more than one ETOPS FLT Segments.

2. Every entry point of each ETOPS segment is also EEP.

3. Before reaching every EEP we have to check the suitablilty of the enroute alternate airport (But only for the ETOPS segment about to enter, checking the other ETOPS segment's alternate airport is not mandatory)

4. We can pass the EEP only if we can verify designated ETOPS segment's alternate airport is suitable to use. (Doesn't matter the rest of ETOPS segment's alternate airports are suitable or not at this point.) (This case let's say we don't have any other adequate airport for the ETOPS segment)

5. It is illegal to pass the EEP if our enroute alternate airport of that segment is not suitable (and no other adequate airport we can use) even though our aircraft is completely normal and captain thinks it's safer to fly to the destination.

I'm pretty sure my above oppinion is right.
But the problem is my chief pilot doesn't think so.

And he's about to change our company ETOPS policy.
(He thinks when we do the ETOPS flight only the first EEP is matter. And after that point we can fly all the way down to the destination as far as our airplane is in normal condition. He thinks we have only one EEP and one EXP in one flight leg even if we have multiple ETOPS segments- First EEP is the only EEP and last EXP is the only EXP.)

That's why I need some official documents to back up my opinion.

I'm waiting for your opinions about this.
Thank you and Happy new year again!!

Last edited by plainsoul; 8th Jan 2005 at 09:55.