PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why are so many male cabin crew gay?
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2005, 15:28
bear11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi - Sorry, I just don't get some of this, would appreciate your thoughts on:

1) Since when was Customer service "gay" or straight"?

2) The not so obvious difference between "gay" and "gays" (if it's not too offensive to print!)

3) it's one of the few job areas I know of that you find a high percentage of gay males - is that one of the attractions in the first place?

4)What happened to the pink pound? The job is low paid, and hardly finances a great lifestyle. And as some of the reasons for it, "fun,exotic,interesting and mysterious lifestyle" hardly mixes with short sectors on the vast majority of the bread and butter stuff?

and last but not least:

I KNOW you don't all do it, but what does mincing around with a vengeance on an aircraft have to do with customer service?

I quote: "These are the guys who seem to have a problem with sexuality that nobody else does, and as such constantly 'ram it down your throat' - (please excuse the term!) that they are straight."

Imvho, most passengers genuinely couldn't care less about your sexuality (including me), but in this case, who's the pot and who's the kettle? The very big difference on an aircraft is that you're working and I'm not - I never flaunt my sexuality in work, and if I did, could reasonably expect I'd end up in the labour court for doing so if I kept it up. I don't want to go on about it, it's simply an issue of professionalism - but I get the impression, right or wrong, that sometimes it's done as an in your face to the heteros, as you know it makes some of them uncomfortable.

Again, I emphasise I'm not trying to start a fight or cause offense, but I'd rather be an educated hetero than a completely ignorant one, and am genuinely interested in the answers.