PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Exam Resit
Thread: Exam Resit
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2005, 08:27
Ruthless

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope, in view of the above post that Easy Glider, Frank Furillo and Mattd2k will apologise to the originator of this thread. If they only engaged their apparent pea sized brains they would realise that the world does not owe them a living for achieving only 75% in exams. The question has a lot of validity.
The market is currently awash with frozen ATPL holders. Airlines have the luxury and ability to be selective in who they choose to recruit. If an airline was to commence a recruiting drive, how are they to differentiate between the holders of identical licences. I would respectfully venture to suggest that they would, on the initial application form, ask for the marks achieved in all 14 exams, if they were all passed at first sitting and were the IR & CPL achieved at first attempt. This would obviously weed out a lot of applicants at the paper sift stage. They may, in view of the above post then set their own bench-mark for the exams. After all, whilst the CAA sets a low 75% pass mark, it is not the CAA who has to employ such applicants and it is at the behest of the employer as to what they feel is an adequate pass mark (knowledge of the subject). It is a fact, that in only achieving 75% in an exam, you at best show that you have a poor understanding of 25%, (a quarter) of the subject matter and at worst, are totally ignorant of a quarter, of the subject matter.
Universities for top degree courses no longer merely accept 3 straight A’s in the relevant subjects; they now require students to sit their own entrance examinations. This is because, in their view, the value of A-levels have been undermined by the amount of students with 3 straight A’s. Would you allow a doctor to perform an operation on you who had demonstrated that they only knew three quarters of the procedure to be followed. I think not.
I have employed pilots in the past; I wouldn’t employ someone who thought it was clever and a waste of effort to only achieve 75% in an exam. For the above named 3 this is an appropriately named forum, wannabes. You will still be wannabes at the next millennium with your attitudes and unhelpful comments.
I do not know the answer to the original question, nor it appears, does anyone else that has responded. The question is not a silly one, but merely demonstrates someone endeavouring to present himself to a prospective employer in the best possible way.
If you have nothing useful to say, I suggest that you 3 continue sweeping the roads, as that is what you are destined for.