PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why are so many male cabin crew gay?
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2004, 23:28
thecaptainissecure

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of the best F/As i know is a gay male.
One of the worst F/As i know is a gay male.

You have to be a good talker in the role of an F/A. You have to be able to take a lot of crap, and still smile and live your life. You have to cop verbal (and sometimes physical) abuse, and still come to work smiling the next day.

When I left year 12, I was one of two people in my large group of friends who wasnt gay. I saw what they went through. Basically, they were being treated like crap, verbally and physically abused, etc. 99% of the time it wasnt because they were gay, but because the person abusing them was uncomfortable about their sexuality - funnily enough, I can name about 10 of these guys that treated my friends like **** who are now 'out' - and behaving like 'I have just come out, you must worship me!'.

Now its not that F/As deserve to be treated like crap, but from what I see, most gay males who've grown up in the last 20-40 are fantastic with patientce, abuse, and smiling when you really dont feel like it. I personally think its because theres that little bit of experience dealing with it.

Not all gay guys have a rough upbringing - lets not get into theories (oh - so thats why theyre gay then? - not likely). But from my point of view, i think this has a lot to do with it.

On the other hand, the last year has taught me something.
Is anyone actually truly straight now? And is it really such a big deal anymore? Even small country backward hic towns are coming to accept it!? My old school now has its own gay community, and for a traditional private boys school that not 4 years ago would chase anyone who said they were gay out with a broom stick, or slip into their coke a concoction of panadol, domestos and nail polish remover?? Thats a big step!

I think that in the interview screening process, they are generally looking for a specific type of personality. Importantly, theyre looking for someone who wont hide in the toilets crying, or have a passenger up against the bulkhead with their knee in his mouth after he comments about sexuality/backside/phone number request/complaint/meal choice/seat allocation etc. Not all gay people are suited to this. I know plenty that would have the guy up against the bulkhead. Similarly not all women are suited to it.. However, the personality traits required seem to be most evident in gay guys.