PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Those damned pedantic idiot captains
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2004, 18:28
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is said that it takes "two to tango" or to paraphrase a famous well respected US president "Ask not what your Captain can do for you but what you can do for your Captain!".

Frustrating Captains to fly with are all part of the FOs job. Dare I say it but when I started airline flying in 1971 there were far more "characters" and "awkward customers" to fly with than there are now - all before the days of CRM! However, I always made it a personal rule that I would operate the rostered trip and try and learn SOMETHING from them - even if it was the wrong way of operating the flight deck!

In order to be a good Captain, I believe, you have to be a good First Officer and it is only by flying with the "pedants" that you learn how to be effective in a multi-crew environment with different personalities.

Finally, I remember one Training Captain in a charter company I used to fly with many moons ago who had a reputation for being "difficult" although he was always technically correct on nearly every issue. I decided to do a straw poll around the company and posed the hypothetical question that they were part of the operating crew when faced with a critical and potentially dangerous in flight emergency - would you rather be with this Training Captain as commander or somebody else - without heistation they all replied that they would rather be with said "difficult" Captain!!