PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod MR1 and Phase 3 Shack - progress but by how much?
Old 30th Dec 2004, 17:58
Tartan Giant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nato eyes only

Nato Eyes Only

I have read the posts, I agree with all those who do NOT wish to talk about past things marked SECRET.
It might be "history" but those who know of those old secrets would do well to keep them from the likes of journos.

There are bits of the jig-saw that those who don't know, would be glad to hear/see coming from those who did know.

Having flown as a "Co" and then a "Skipper" on the Shack (flown the Mk2.2 to 3.3) I agree with my learned friend Shackman,

With a good crew the Phase 3 Shack could do almost as well as the Mk1 Nimrod, but the jet had speed and comfort on its side. On the other hand there was an awful lot of experience in the older side of the Shack Force, many of whom were not 'selected' to go jets, or had problems with the course. These were the guys who could literally sniff out a submarine - even without Autolycus. I was but a lowly co-pilot in those days, so claim no ability for that, but it was impressive to see a good crew go to work. The other thing that it had going for it was because we were low and slow a goodly number of our certsubs were with the Mk 1 eyeball.
Having also done a tour on the Mk1 Nimrod (72-75), if somebody wanted to find and track a sub then give me a good Shack crew.
I (my crew - yes it was a good crew!) had more unalerted detections on the Shack than ever I had on the Nimrod.
A classic example from my Shack days - we found two Soviet Nuces on the same day, and nobody knew up to that point they were there, never mind within hours of each other! It was a historic mission, and never repeated, even by a Nimrod. I was kippering from 66-75!

I am old fashioned, but a SECRET is for keeping and not for public discussion.

The old sayings come to mind; loose talk costs lifes. Navaleye has the idea.

If this country is stupid enough to open its secrets to those who have to ask, then the game is over.

Take care,

TG