PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Truce
Thread: A Truce
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2004, 09:55
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Jacko

I wondered if I was the only one thinking "why is the (UK) Government going F all" (in practical terms).

In the late 90s 1998 I think, there was a major flooding disaster in Central America. The UK response include HMS Ocean (plus helicopters?), a frigate and RFA to support/assist, and a unit of Royal Marines with landing craft and other small boats that could go up river and reach isolated places.

In 2000 the much maligned UK response to the floods in Mozambique included both RAF Pumas and RN Sea Kings (transfered to one of the AORs).

Surely there is some sort of contingency planning at the MOD? Helicopters, (small) boats, field engineering equipment, water purification plant, generators, logistics..............

Unfortunately the time it would take to convert/sail any hip in a hospital would negate the usefulness. Better to help with restoring the infrastructure and preventing epidemics....

Not only can we help, we must. If we don't, we'll only have ourselves to blame for future hostility...