PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Culture of the Nation" vs Safety record
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2004, 09:19
Captain Stable

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition Override, you are incorrect about ATR's in icing.

ATR were not compelled to make changes to the deicing boots. They did so themselves. Furthermore, ATR carried out testing and demonstration of the ATR in severe icing, and released a video of the results. I have seen it, and it's quite spectacular how much ice the ATR can actually carry.

In the Roselawn, Indiana, American Eagle incident of which you speak, people died for one reason and one reason alone - the sheer unprofessional attitude and actions of the crew. They operated the aircraft in a manner it was not designed to stand and the oeprated it in direct opposition to the manufacturer's recommendation.

It is disappointing that most of the CVR transcripts one can read on the Internet of the accident are cut, and in cutting, make the crew look better (although that is not necessarily the intention, it is the effect). But they were holding for quite some time in severe icing conditions without flaps, with a very inexperienced FO alone on the flight deck while the captain was at the back of the aircraft chatting up cabin crew, with autopilot engaged. Despite at least 5 occurrences of the pitch trim whooler going off, this did not occasion any comment that the A/P was having trouble, nor any action. At no time, despite the icing, did they even mention it to ATC, nor ask for a level change.

Those people died because of complacency and unprofessionalism. Nothing more. If you operate ANY aircraft in a manner not recommended by the manufacturer, sooner or later you will kill people.

I have around 2,000 hours on various models of ATR's and I know them to be an excellent design.