PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Santa Maria HF c alling for REECH-1005
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2004, 22:46
Tex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although I tend to agree that many ATC procedures and phraseologies in the US are lagging or lacking, I tend to agree with the "Heavy" suffix, as we have many light GA aircraft in the same airspace. With good SA, a light airplane's pilot will hear the "Heavy" suffix and be aware possible wake turbulence. I know it is not necessary outside the US.

I didn't mean to have my post about new commers to the NATS as being incompetent. Everyone did it the first time, and we all STILL make mistakes, on occasion. All I can say, before doing that first position report: preparation, preparation, and preparation.

Why don't these US carriesr (I know Atlas does) have a class on INTL RT and position reporting, to include reciting simulated reports in front of the class? Why don't individual pilots take the time to recite a report in front of the refrigerator, while grabbing for a beer? Laziness on both counts. I did the refrigerator thing because I worked for a non-US carrier and I didn't want to look like a fool on my first day at work, or therafter.

Also, I love the reference someone made to the "Booze news," when to referring to having ATIS information Whiskey. That sounds like a trucker on a CB radio whenever I hear that, and not a professional pilot.

I know, all of my US counterparts are going to flame me as a fuddy duddy, a stick in the mud, or even worse, but that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

As far as what happened to the Reach flight in question, I'm certain we would have heard by now if anything terrible had happened. I think this thread has merits of its own, without the Reach outcome known. Carry on.