PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Santa Maria HF c alling for REECH-1005
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2004, 13:16
Paterbrat

I am a figment of my own imagination

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

The origional question appears to have been answered and Reach 1005 hopefully is OK. What does seem to have followed though is a general slagging.
There could have been a number of possible explanations for the missed check out of a frequency. Priorities in the a/c loss of communication due to range, equipment failure, emergency not neccesarily aviation related,and yes poor procedures as well
NSF's defence of the US is a lonely though very valid one, there are many segments of aviation communications nowhere near the US or US crews, worldwide that are not up to a uniformally high standard and it would be nice if they were better, but we use them fly with them and get on with it.
Some densely travelled areas demand a higher standard and the inexperienced do stand out accordingly when they venture there. I can think of a lot of Europen crews who don't normaly venture across the pond who might well be a little lost in the New York, Atlanta, Dallas, LA, areas. Different accents and local practices delivered at high speed can be confusing. Just because one is familiar with London Paris Rome ATC can start to be confusing down near Damascus, Cairo, Jeddah, Karachi, Bombay.
Those who worked for good companies that gave decent Atlantic crossing training were lucky, those who were thrown in at the deep end know how intimidating it could be and would have prefered to have had the opportunity.
The 'Queens English' gamekeeper is spoken by millions who live nowhere near the Sceptered Isle and whose accents differ quite radically, as do in fact millions who actually have that privilige! And I daresay that there may well be the odd professional or two!!! in Reach who might give you a run for your money. IMHO of course.