PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Read it and weep folks!
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2004, 10:57
Obiwan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a reply from Senator Nettle (Greens)

I am replying on behalf of Senator Nettle to your email of 9 December about the Aviation Security Amendment Bill 2004.

Thank you for raising these concerns. We agree that individual pilots should not have to bear the cost of security checks that will be mandatory for licensed pilots. As the bill has passed all stages it is not possible for parliament to review the matter before it becomes law. However, Senator Nettle will write to the Minister for Transport drawing his attention to the hardship which pilots will face if they are required to bear the cost of the mandatory security check and seeking information about cost arrangements. We will advise you of the minister's response when we receive it.

Thank you again for contacting us about this matter.

Yours sincerely

Katrina Willis
Adviser
ps - thanks to those who signed the petition, but we need more. Spread message

Icarus
Yes, I still disagree with the premise on which it is based but is not exactly the end of the world. Unless you are in the terry towelling hat brigade and still have a 2001 ERSA and VTC in the back of your aircraft and a copy of an orange VFG at home!
The $200 will probably been 1.5hrs less flying I do this year.

More important than that is the principle

1. Our govt views us as potential terrorists simply because of our completely legal occupation or hobby

2. We are being forced to pay for something unneeded and unjustified. Therfore - there\'s no cost to the govt and no chance it will ever be repealled - even if there is never a \'potential\' incident averted.

3. Its the thin edge of the wedge. What else will they then start charging us for?

4. Why aren\'t the real risk groups being screened.

Last edited by Obiwan; 23rd Dec 2004 at 11:16.