PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trouble Brewing at CitiExpress
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2004, 21:16
MercenaryAli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Ford

I Ford you hit the nail on the head!!

Please forgive me repeating myself.

"What was a pilot doing up all night with a yound child (presumably poorly - and we have all been there!) knowing that he (or she in this case) had a long days flying ahead with a duty day that she knew would take her to the fullest extent of her duty day, if everything went to plan.

If she was truly "up all night" then she should have called in and told rostering she was not fit to report for duty.

What I suspect happened was that in fact she went to work, perhaps already a little tired after a long night up with a young child not because she wanted to but because she knew the shxt would hit the fan if she did not! That is where the poor management began!

I think as an observer that both the pilot concerned and the company have a part of the blame each. However at the end of the day the pilot was totally correct to refuse to go into discretion because SHE did not feel safe doing so and that is HER right so to do.

I think she acted foolishly, out of misplace loyalty, by going to work after a night up with a young child BUT acted very sensibly by refusing to go into discretion.

By contrast the company had made itself many enemies and made itself look very stupid and poor at management; nothing new there!!

I hope the lady concerned has a Merry Christmas and is able to put this sorry sago behind her in the New Year.