PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BAA forced to accept 50% of Ross - Ryanair case
Old 22nd Dec 2004, 10:35
terrywilcox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
terrywilcox

I take the point re locos. If a person is taking a cheap flight,say £10,and they have to provide any facility,which costs them £18,it just seems inequitable. They are,in effect,paying the passenger £8 to fly. The point is,someone obviously has to provide the facility,and someone has to pay. It is unfair for the loco to carry the cost,but if they do,it is again obvious that the charge must be passed on in some way to the passengers. Mainline carriers have a comfortable profit margin,which could cover the cost,but again,all passengers pay. I question the cost of £18. Why don't airports keep a number of wheelchairs at the airport,as do hospitals. Indeed many supermarkets provide electric wheelchairs,free of charge,which make the disabled person completely independent. I see no need to contract services in,and most disabled people do not travel alone,hence no need for another person to be employed to push it. As I said previously,nothing is free. We all pay taxes to provide these,and other facilities,and I for one don't mind. I just feelk very fortunate to be able bodied,and incidentally would not mind pushing a wheelchair myself anywhere,for anyone. Few people would if they were aware of the need for help. Problem with this is the disabled people I know are very reluctant to ask for help. They feel it takes away their independence. I apologise for the long message,and hope my points are not misunderstood. A very happy xmas to all of you.