PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oxford sharp practice ?
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2004, 20:27
dis80786

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After reading this lot, I feel compelled to post my bit.

As an integrated student at OAT who does not come from a rich background, I find it really quite offensive that everyone seems to think that the only reason that anyone gets onto integrated is through 'daddy's wallet'. True, there is a certain small percentage of people like that at the college, as there are in any other industry, but quite how one finances oneself is really not anyone else's business. FYI, I am one of the majority who busted their arses saving to get in.

The truth of the matter is, whether you are modular/integrated or a trainee mechanic, we have all succeeded in getting ourselves into the best school in Europe at this moment in time, which in the eyes of the airlines puts Oxford mods/ints ahead of the other schools before we even open a book. If it wasn't, we wouldn't keep paying out a fortune. It is also absurd to think that just because you fail an exam, you are any less able to become an excellent pilot. I will admit for one that my academic skills are not quite what they should be, but I assure you that I am absolutely busting my balls to do this course to the best of my ability, and surely that counts for more than those who would coast through.

However, those mods/ints who expect OAT to find them a job at the end of their course are quite simply mad. This is one of the most competitive industry sectors to enter, and the OAT career service is simply one tool that a student might use to find employment. If the student doesn't believe that they need to put out CV's or spend hours trying to make contacts within the industry, as those from any other school would, just because they are from OAT are in for abject disappointment. Eggs in one basket, and all that.