PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manch. transfer to Scottish
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2004, 10:53
AyrTC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I have been trying to sit on the sidelines of this however I must feel I should put in my tuppence worth.

First of all I wish to ignore the way HR have handled th move.I am sorry what has come about but Manch you are moving to Prestwick get used to it!!!

I am a Scot married to an English girl ( oh the shame JOKE!!! ) and I have several English ATC friends.

I had no affinity with Prestwick ( I wanted to go to Gatwick for my posting twenty five years ago ) so it was a bit of a shock for me when I got a posting to th Centre.

I have heard kids getting "beaten "up for being tall/small/left handed/left footed etc just because your kid is English does not make him/her special.

As in everywhere else ( Manch ,Aus,Canada) it all comes down to Location,Location ,Location.There are some very nice big houses in "rundown areas" and if you are stupid enough/naive enough to buy a property in one of them well look out.

As for nightlife well I do not get out much being a family man but some of the "kids" on the watch seem to have a reasonable social life in Prestwick and there is always Glasgow up the road.

For pastimes for the kids there are football,hockey,basketball,rugby,karate,judo,swimming,
gymnastics.taekwando,dancing,ballet and two cricket clubs!!!

I have had one move in my ATC career and where I went made
Prestwick seem like a metropolis.If you come to Prestwick with an open mind I think you will be presently surprised.

Be warned the local Ayrshire accent is a bit broad ( it is not corrupt English its origins are "Auld Scots" ) so your'e child wille become bi-lingual : playground speak and home speak

It will not be a bed of roses but most people will try and make you very welcome.

Rant/PR over

AyrTC

ps if any one from Manch wants to pm me about any Prestwick social/family questions feel free to do so.