PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manch. transfer to Scottish
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2004, 08:50
Jerricho
Ohcirrej

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DP, you're probably going to get some interesting responses to this. It's not quite as simple as a move from Cairns or Townsville to Bris-vegas, as they're still in the same state in the same country (Infact, if I lived in Townsville, I'd be happy to move to Brisbane ).

Prestwick isn't exactly a thriving metropolis, especially when compared to Manchester. And there have been stories (truth to them=???, I'll leave that to those more in the know) of English families who have moved there and haven't exactly been welcomed by the locals (I heard one story of a controller's kid who had the crap beaten out of him on a bus).

The reason I ask what reports are getting back to NATS guys and gals about Canada is that having made the move (Ok, it's my second ), that it is a major event. Here in the 'Peg winter is really starting to hit (just looking at the METAR and it's MINUS 29 C, and including windchill it MINUS 36!!!). Edmonton is 1 above freezing with wind gusts up to 35 kts. There are some major domestic issues (bank accounts, credit history for a motgage, car insurance, drivers licencing) that can cause some minor headaches. Then there's the issue of training (not quite from scratch, but it is different), as well as starting from the bottom of the pile again (the seniority system can take a bit of getting used to). Nav Can are also begining to move towards their new CAATS system (similar to NERC), so depending upon when people arrive, they may train on the current system and find themselves retraining on new kit in the not too distant future.

Don't get me wrong, the money is good, the lifestyle is great (aside from the mozzies in summer), and the locals are very friendly and supportive (the manager of the school here in Winnipeg is a very switched on guy). And I'm going to have my first white Christmas ever (no BBQ though, eh DP). I'm just interested in what has filtered back from other sources.

Last edited by Jerricho; 19th Dec 2004 at 09:05.