PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots reporting speed control
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2001, 04:20
WonkyVectors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Hug, i'm still at a loss to understand your somewhat venomous posts. Your various replies of "no, shan't, get used to it, tough" indicate either a failure to comprehend the problem at hand or a personal dislike of atc.

Asda's initial post ended "Please report everything you are asked to", this is not treating pilots as children (tho' you wouldn't believe how many times many of us have to!!) but a simple request. You and others have stated that we don't always know what goes on up there and you are right; we don't know what buttons/knobs you're pressing, what you're thinking or your mindset etc. and here's where a little knoweledge can be dangerous: we don't know if a pilot has simply forgotten to follow the instruction, or, thinking the controllers are adjacent to each other, feels he doesn't need to follow the instruction coz the controllers talk to each other and anyway its written on the strip isn't it? Now do you see why Asda's request/reminder was not a dig at pilots abilities (if you want to go down that road just mention slots, that'll get me started!!) but an indication that there may be the root of a dangerous problem which we can all, together, eliminate? From my personal experience the need to give pilots such instructions is growing, as is, for whatever reason, the frequency of omissions by pilots.

Your other point "don't expect us to follow your orders" is also worrying. We HAVE to assume that you will follow atc instructions otherwise no-one would get anywhere. There is a fine line between folowing atc instructions unless absolutely necessary and treating them as requests if and when you've got the time (i've got the 1261 to prove that at least one pilot has done this)- the vitriol in some of you posts tends to show that you'd prefer the latter - however hopefully i have read you wrong and offer my apologies.
Yes pilots do p1ss me on occasion with their apparent incompetence and i have no doubt there are pilots whom i've p1ssed off with mine, but surely we can use this forum to remind, help and educate each other with the aim of improving safety?

Enjoy, and be safe.