PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PAN-PAN Medical Emergency
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2004, 09:07
Cartman's Twin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your post Cat and OTC. I thought understanding could be improved and your comments are much appreciated.

Taking your Sim Trainer's comment first I don't agree that every subsequent TX should be prefixed with PAN/MAYDAY. Firstly I'm certain it's not a requirement and secondly I'd say it's a dreadful waste of RT time and pretty much useless. Once an a/c has made a declaration I assure you the controller will know your callsign (!) and RT 'seconds' are precious, so I wouldn't recommend it personally.

Some might suggest that it might discourage new a/c arriving on frequency not to make verbose transmissions, such as "ABC123, just airborne from Heathrow, about to level off at FL100, any chance of further climb and left five to avoid a micron of cloud or even direct to JFK!" There is some mileage in this argument but certainly on the frequencies I'd work, I'd rather save the 2 RT seconds of each transmission. Besides there is so much work going on behind the scenes that often a/c being transferred TO the PAN freq are warned beforehand. Also I've found a quick 'negative due emergency traffic' does a perfectly good job. You guys (n gals) don't quibble when 'fellow Brother Friars are in the lurch' (anybody spot the Blackadder line??).

I would accept that prefixing your first transmission to a new centre (eg from London to Manch) with the status of your flight would be enirely appropriate. The message should always have been transferred ahead of you but if the controller is working a busy freq, it will certainly ensure you of their best attention upon your arrival. Within the same centre it is my belief that you don't have to prefix your callsign, and you can wager the controller has already been informed, but for the reason outlined above, it's no bad thing. Quite often we are aware of your impending arrival and work as hard as we can to clear as much regular traffic off the freq before your dulcet tones drift down the airwaves!

From experience, most UK and European operators don't use PAN apart from when they first declare, but those who've been imported from across the pond always prefix their first transmission to a new freq with PAN. In my opinion eithers fine!

cont.....

Cat O Nine Tails,

I was also aware of the Pan Pan Medico phrase used in the nautical world, and although I\'m sure any controller would understand it\'s meaning I was never taught it as official phraseology. Most of the time the pilot\'s either referred to a Medical Emergency which becomes a PAN after clarification or a PAN is declared in the first instance.

I\'ve no knowledge of the particular instance you mentioned although possible thoughts would be. If the a/c was near the boundary anyway then there may be little point trying to get info from the pilot when he could be talking with the French direct leaving less room for Chinese Whispers. I\'m surprised the controller didn\'t clarify whether a PAN had been declared at the outset, but again he may have thought it\'s better for the French to follow their own procedures once the a/c is transferred to them (besides it\'s paperwork for us too!). I\'m sure this would have been cleared up before landing. Again the controller may have thought that as the incident would have finished in France it\'s more efficient for the French controller to ensure all their requirements are met than risk wasting the pilots time obtaining information that would prove unnecessary.

Generally, and I speak entirely from my own experience within the London TMA the pilot will be asked for a little detail about the patient but most importantly whether the medical facilities have been arranged through your company. Generally this \'should\' be the case, although it\'s understandable if the nature of approach leaves little time or capacity for this to be effected. We just need to know one way or another! There could be nothing worse than making a fighter style approach to Gatwick only to be met by the aircraft cleaners (worthy though their job is) and a mop!!

Most of the actual medical discussions is effected off the main frequency, either with the company direct or through the Medilink people and a Dr. I\'ve never had a request for this to be arranged through the controller although if needs must, we could probably find a way!

PS. Dont know whats up with my / \\ / \\ s.....