PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 22 Crews, 2 Sqns At Kinloss!!!!
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2004, 20:00
Archimedes

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Impiger, sorry, obviously didn't make myself clear. The point about the standard is that a decision was taken in 1968 (ish) that squadrons that hadn't been awarded their standard would not be considered for reformation in future (although the policy did not apply to OCU/TWU plates). However, the documentation is equally clear that the early award of the standard to CXX and 617 had an interesting effect on the way in which their seniority was regarded.

CXX & 617 effectively overcame their lack of reckonable front line service by the early award of their standard - I have read several bits of documentation in the PRO in which very senior officers produced words to the effect of:

'Normally, 120/617 Squadron would be the unit to disband under this round of cuts, but as they were awarded their standard early for distinguished service in WW2, we are exempting them from the normal criteria of seniority, and the next most junior unit will be chopped'.

As a result, they've both gained what appears to be 'protected' status where they alone don't have to meet the criteria of reckonable service.

I haven't got it to hand at the moment, but IIRC, 120 were due to disappear with the Shackleton (42, 201, 203, 204 and 206 being the preferred candidates if my memory serves), but suddenly re-emerged as candidates after the 'rule' was pointed out; likewise, when the time came to disband one of the Scampton Vulcan B2 units, 617 were cited in the documentation as being the most junior numberplate, but it was 83 Sqn that got the chop!

That was the point I was trying (but clearly failed) to make.