PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 22 Crews, 2 Sqns At Kinloss!!!!
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2004, 18:40
Jackonicko

Received 30 Likes on 9 Posts
Why? Because, in my view, the policy of giving certain squadrons 'sacrosanct' status for one very brief episode in their history (as was given to 617 and CXX) is mistaken. Moreover, while I wouldn't want to do diminish what 120 achieved, I don't think that it did any more than the other Nimrod units.

Because, in my view, certainly 206, and probably 201 as well, are more 'worth saving' than CXX on the basis of their service record over the years.

Because I'm entirely biased, and several of the best men I know served with 206 on Libs during 44-46. Including my Dad.

Why is keeping 120 the 'easiest' option? Because spineless, know-nothing blunt bureucrats have already made their decision (on largely specious and spurious grounds), and have already consigned the RAF's most distinguished and historic maritime unit to the rubbish bin. These are the same people who thought that Strike Command's three Groups should be named as No.s 1, 2 and 3, and that retaining historic identities like 8, 11, 18, or 38 was unnecessary! The same tw@ts who have given us a frontline without 19, 92, 56, 74, and 111 Squadrons.