PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PAN-PAN Medical Emergency
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2004, 08:14
eyeinthesky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BALIX: If he calls the emergency on the Ocean (whether he uses the PAN words or not), but then flies on for another 90+ mins, past perfectly good facilities at Prestwick, Manchester, (Shannon?) and others, then in my books it's not an emergency!!If there's 20 mins holding for Heathrow then he might as well do that as well as it doesn't seem that urgent to get on the ground.

Having said that, if you call it as an emergency, you will get treated as one. If they don't say it, I will usually ask "Are you declaring a PAN?" That usually elicits a Yes or No and is handled accordingly.

With ref to the discussion about British stuffiness and the need to use the correct terms, I think you also need to consider the effect on other flights. If they are in or are put in the Hold to let someone go first who should be well behind them, then there had better be a very good reason. Paperwork will of course follow, but we need to be able to explain to the Airline Manager of Big Airlines why his aircraft spent an extra £xx on fuel while First Time Airlines went straight through.

Don't even get me started on 'Fuel Emergency..!!"