PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PAN-PAN Medical Emergency
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2004, 22:09
pilotwolf

Helicopter Pilots Get It Up Quicker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cartman's Twin Wolf-Like pilot?! Only on full moons!

Think there is the commercial aspect to be considered here too. A couple of years ago I was a transatlantic pax who had to use the day job skills to treat a patient. On discussion with the flight deck crew I sensed a reluctance to seek advise from the ground unless unavoidable due to the probably insistance to land ASAP to avoid potential litigation. As it happened there was no need for either and the patient made a full recovery. Need to add though it was made very clear that the decision to divert was mine and I only needed to say the word regardlless of any incurred delays or costs.

But... thanks to the increased use of Medlink I think there are an awful lot of ambulance responses to flights, including diversions that are unnecessary. Again I can only assume this removes the risk of legal action as it is very difficult to diagnose accurately via RT/phone, especially if the signs and symptons are being taken/described by non medical personnel. Had one last summer for a 4 day old mosquito bite....

Also guess its un-official but GMC at LGW always seem to give priority to medical emergency traffic.

Maybe airlines should employ paramedics to fly on all long haul routes just in case! I only need to give 1 months notice....

PW