PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gyrocopters/Autogyros
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2004, 07:16
CRAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
An intersting problem

Zeeoo,

This has indeed turned into a very interesting thread! I sat down and had a think about the whole problem yesterday lunch time and came up with some interesting ideas. The reason that I asked about 'jump-takeoff' machines in production today, is simply that I've had a rather neat idea about how to produce an autogiro that can hover for extended periods. However, the problem is that it would require a single main rotor system with collective as well as cyclic pitch. The really neat thing is that the controls would remain completely conventional and intuitive to an autogiro pilot and the machine would not be much more complex than a standard autogyro.

There are potentially a number of significant advantages for a recreational rotorcraft of this type:

(1) It can hover like a helicopter
(2) It's safer than a helicopter (No tail rotor, high inertia rotor, easy to fly, low power requirements at low speed, more stable)
(3) It fly’s like an autogiro - always in autorotation
(4) It uses a fixed pitch pusher prop, hence allowing engine to operate at various speeds, giving more realistic access to low cost automotive derivative engines [reduced cost].
(5) It can out manoeuvre a helicopter
(6) It would be quieter than a helicopter
(7) It has better handling qualities than a helicopter
(8) Its more tolerant of pilot mis-handling than a straight autogyro
(9) Much easier to handle following an engine failure than a helicopter

Then considering your three points, you would want to use a three-bladed rotor, with contemporary aerodynamic design as well to further harden the machine against inexperienced pilots.

However, with a full helicopter rotor system, big engine and propeller and additional kit for hover capability, are not we heading towards something that would cost about the same as a helicopter anyway? That’s my only concern...

If the people who have produced 'jump-takeoff' autogyros, have done so at significantly lower cost than an equivalent weight helicopter, then the concept is potentially useful, but if the cost is equivalent to a helicopter, you would probably be better of with a kit helicopter.

Just my thoughts [to stir up the debate - ]

CRAN

NOTE: It doesn't use tip jets of any type, thrust vectoring (other than the MR), or additional lifting props.