PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quitting Flying
Thread: Quitting Flying
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2004, 16:08
Ludwig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yakker

You are so right! I and better minds than mine, have wrestled with this problem before, (indeed I have a sneaking feeling we may even have jointly wrestled with it) and there are always a number of exciting flying things to add to the list. The ideas inevitably tend to be things that the idea-originator would either like to do, or felt was useful to them in some way in their past flying experiences, and whilst it may be just what is required to keep other PPL’s flying it may not.

The fizzle factor to which you referred I think is common in all clubs societies and loose gathering; most people want to have it organised but are not able/ willing/competent to organise it themselves so a large part of the fizzle is down to those few die-hards getting sick of making all the running. I am sure you know that even those whose livelihood is getting PPL’s flying can feel ground down by the process after a while.

That said, what now?

There are loads of societies and clubs that cater for those with a special interest such as navigation or aerobatics, instrument flying or air racing, but nothing specifically aimed at essentially entertaining Joe Soap PPL. I propose the launch of the Pprune Keep Britain Flying Alliance ” a not for profit organisation dedicated to stimulating interest amongst private flyers throughout the land by pooling the vast experience on this forum. It would not be builders club or a lobby group, but it could organise events at airfields around the land or simply inspire local groups to organise something in their school, club airfield or offer existing schools and clubs ideas on a plate. The trouble might be that those with the inspiration may be too busy flying to contribute!

What thinketh thou?