PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PAN-PAN Medical Emergency
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2004, 10:53
Cartman's Twin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On leave at last!!!!!

Morning all!

I'm glad this post's taken off....

I agree with the previous post using the cunning disguise 055166k - where did that come from!

My understanding (and I'm sure you dont need to be invited to correct me) is that a vast majority of airlines subscribe to a third party medical org in America (I think) who use info provided by the persons on board to attempt a diagnosis and take responsibility for deciding what should or shouldn't be done regarding declaring anything, diverting etc. They've a huge database of all the facilities available worldwide down to the contents of your secret medical kit under the stairs (you see I know!)

This takes the liability away from the airlines and keeps the lawyers happy! As an aside I have to agree with 08764545412454578745k that I do sometimes wonder why almost all flights (for example) zoom straight past Gatwick on their way to deliver a critically ill patient to the centre of London!!

Pan-Pan is (or should be) a globally recognised term, and although I've no doubt some parts of the world may not have a Scooby what you're talking about. I'd certainly hope America wasn't one of the offending parties... Mind you, when it comes to unilateral decisions......!

Regarding what actually happens if a PAN is called it varies slightly depending upon conditions but I doubt many pilots fully understand how much effort is put in to save as much time as possible (not that it's your job of course!). Suffice it to say we do all we can and unless you're unfortunate enough to coincide with a MAYDAY, you'll be wheels down as soon as humanly possible.