PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quitting Flying
Thread: Quitting Flying
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2004, 17:22
Pitts2112

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

WB,
I think you've got it. It IS about the people and what those people want to do with their flying.

Getting a PPL is expensive, time consuming, mired in unnecessary antiquity and regulation, and a hell of a lot of fun. We may not be able, as private owners and pilots, to do anything about that. But we can certainly do something with the newly minted PPL and our own flying enthusiasm.

Yakker has the right idea. "What are WE going to do about it?" I notice, however, that he asked the question but didn't offer any solutions. THAT'S the problem. Most people ask the question with a blank look on their face and a sense of "it's too big for me to tackle alone" in their minds. That's why organization and doing things on some kind of small scale is what it may take to start.

For instance, how much organization do most of us put into our flying? How often do we fly alone (me? Most of the time since the Pitts is a one-holer) or with an empty seat that could be filled with an entusiastic student or fellow PPL? What does it take to fill that empty seat? How many events does your airport or club host each year? And I don't just mean fly-ins and that sort of thing, but more like fly-outs? Leicester holds a half dozen or so each season (including a "ladies-only" flyout!), and that's still not enough for some of us. A couple of years ago a member took it upon himself to organize fly-outs specifically aimed at getting new PPLs to venture out of eyesight of the field. They booked the entire club fleet and every seat was filled! How about treasure hunts that incorporate several fields in one day or weekend? Flour bombing (Boxing Day at Leicester - great fun, clubhouse is heaving, and no one ever hits the target!). Then there're ground-based events that we could do. Talks by relevant personalities on interesting topics a la RAeS, club social dos or, if no club, a gathering of local pilots for a night at a local pub to plan the next event or just shoot the breeze. Calll up a student and bring her along.

I guess my point is that it's down to US to ensure new PPLs or people on the edge of quitting get influenced by positive and enthusiastic people. Some folks will seek it, some folks need to be taken under a wing, but they're all part of a population worth keeping high in numbers (and voter registration cards!)

As to the costs and other issues, that's for another posting. My fingers are tired. But I'll lead with this - microlights and SLAs?

Pitts2112