PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PAN-PAN Medical Emergency
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2004, 12:07
Cartman's Twin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PAN-PAN Medical Emergency

Afternoon Folks!

Imposter ATCO alert.... I'm a London terminal control bod and just woken up after my night shift, and I'm just trying to make our lives that little bit easier and increase mutual understanding etc etc.....

This morning had a LL inbound arriving just after the gates opened and about 40 miles before OCK the chap in question (you know who you are!!) declared a 'medical emergency' with a sick pax.

The reason for my post is that our hands are tied you see. These days the term 'medical emergency' technically carries as much of the proverbial welly as 'fuel emergency' - ie. none. It is a very minor point I realise, but the only call which will automatically give you priority is a PAN-PAN or MAYDAY. Just declaring a med emergency is more likely going to result in the ATCO trying to get you to say P-P on the tapes, further wasting your time and causing confusion at a point when I'm sure both sides would prefer to be making arrangements for your expeditious arrival.

I realise it seems ludicrous but there have been instances where a 'med emergency' has been loosely called shortly after 20 minute delays have been advised to the crew - convenient! I'm sure you can imagine how much work is caused when the system designed to handle a/c in a orderly manner has to make the 23rd in line the new number 1. (If you can't please do come and visit us at TC). By just giving us a PAN-PAN due to sick pax the ball will get rolling that little bit quicker and we can all have a slightly easier life!

Kind regards

PS. Hope the pax was ok