PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gyrocopters/Autogyros
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2004, 20:20
zeeoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello, Cran, valuable opinions are always apreciated.

many points among those you rise are true, like the fact that a gyro (actually) doesnt do something particular a FW or HELI does.

But you told about STOL capabilities... the simple ability to land with a vertical rate under 2 and flare on a little spot IS a big safety feature..

About hovering.. as you may know, i am around something with a rotor for somes years.. and i finally found the cost between a gyro and an helicopter ( for an amateur recreationnal purpose) is not worth the few minutes you spend hovering at take off or landing with an helicopter..

Hovering is the great HELI myth but in the real usage, exepted for a pure hovering usage, hovering is not that used and not that recommendable.. am i wrong ? most helicopters spend 99 % time performing a flight that a FW could perform far better.

Btw after some investigations, i have the belief that the gyro manoeuvrability is the same or better than a small chopper (i have a particular exemple for cattle mustering in OZ).

Saying that a gyro can't perform cross country travels is not, IMO, that true, but you can say that there are so few models able to do that... not because of the gyro character but because of the availability of an appropriate model.

You said the choice of an ultralight is the good choice, i agree in the fact that it is less problematic (better training facilities etc).
But the gyros have the same potential for this use, UL not being specially designed for cross country.

I think the gyros miss an adequate information, training facilities... they also need some "rumours and impressions" to be killed. and overall a flyable, sellable model.

thanks for your post Cran.

Victor