PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Cracking" the throttle
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2004, 13:30
The Rotordog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As others have noted, there are two different FCU's that may be installed in 206A's and B's. There is a misperception that if you have a CECO in a B-model then you have to do a modulated start. However, if the CECO is tuned well, you *should* be able to go directly to the idle-stop during the start. But the CECO is much more sensitive to OAT and the quality of the start will vary. Also, the start quality varies as the FCU accumulates time. The CECO does provide *some* amount of modulation, but it is not the same as the amount in the 206L-series, which use a fully modulated start.

Grainger misspoke in one sense. Going to the idle-stop gives you the *maximum* amount of fuel, not the minimum. In fact, you can open the "throttle" all the way to full if you like, and the FCU will only deliver "start fuel" until the N1 gets up near idle, at which point you'll get more. I like to watch the look on the faces of so-called experienced 206 pilots when I (for fun) open the throttle completely to full during the start sequence on a Bendix or alternatively "pump" it as if it were an accellerator on an old car with a carburetor and accellerator pump.

But I digress. What many pilots use as "standard" procedure with both Bendix and CECO's is to just open the throttle enough to get a light-off (i.e. "cracking" it). In this way, both a Bendix and CECO-equipped B-model start the same way. Once you're assured that the TOT is under control, then you go to the idle-stop just to keep the engine from inadvertently shutting itself down.

"Cracking" the throttle is one of those vague aviation terms which everyone seems to use but nobody can really define.