PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quitting Flying
Thread: Quitting Flying
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2004, 05:57
Pitts2112

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't read all the posts here so pardon me if I repeat something already said, but I agree with what a few of the folks here have written. The goal during training is to get your PPL. Once you get and are on the back side of that gate, you're on your own with no discussion from anyone of what you're going to do with it now. I left flying almost immediately after getting my PPL (for the reasons posted above but also because I got stationed in Korea which, with it's air defense network, didn't seem like a good place to take up flying again!).

Flying schools and clubs could do themselves some good if they thought about students in a different way, giving some real thought to how to retain people after they get their tickets. Organized fly-outs are one thing. I belong to an excellent club, but the flying school part is still regarded as a seperate entity in the minds of most members. However, ee had a member organize a few "new PPL" fly-outs which went down a treat.

I think much of it is about the community. If it weren't for the people in my club and their encouragement, I probably wouldn't be flying today. But I found some like minded people who are really enthusiastic and that has made all the difference. If your club or flying location doesn't have a social atmosphere, take it upon yourself to help create one. Nothing is lonelier than an airport where the pilots show up, fly, and go home. Most people are social animals and, given an opportunity to sit and talk about flying for a couple of hours would probably do so. What about a "club" evening down at the nearest pub on Thursday nights, for instance? From there you could organize group fly-outs, challenges and activities to keep flying fun (how about a flying treasure hunt or something like that?)

Anyway, where I am now has no social scene - it's just an airport, and it's not nearly as much fun and I haven't flown nearly as much as I used to. I can't help but think the two are linked.

Pitts2112