PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trouble Brewing at CitiExpress
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2004, 17:44
Pontiuspilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's just look at the fundamentals of this issue, and even (though I find it difficult) let's de-personalise it.

1. The Company is trying to prove that a Captain who refused to go into discretion on grounds of fatigue and flight safety is in the wrong.

2. The facts seem open to interpretation from both sides, depending on what you want to accentuate.

3. The Company in question is well known for breaking agreements, frequently ignoring contracts and breaking signed BALPA 'treaties'.

So, what do you think will be the end result if the Company perceive they have 'won' this one? I suggest their tails will be up, their self confidence in bullying will increase, and the world of BACX will take another dive in all respects. For that reason alone, they cannot be allowed to win. Can you really not imagine what the likes of TDLF, PH, IC, DC, DW, etc will be like with the next set of crew who have an issue with discretion? I'll go further. Can you imagine the pressure on the next Captain who is feeling knacked at the end of another double Nice, or five sectors through a six sector day and really doesn't feel up to it - yet will not dare to say "ENOUGH" because the Company won this one? This is a Flight Safety issue, not to mention a deliberate hounding of one of the most competent and nicest Captains we have in the Company. Also, as has been stated elsewhere, sadly enough, she used to be one of the most pro-Company pilots we had! If they'll do this to one of their PROTAGONISTS - what the heck do you think the rest of us wil get?

It's not straightforward, but to quote that irritating pomposity PH -"We are where we are"

We can roll belly up, or we can support her. Does the question really need to be asked?

Tandemrotor, please tell me what would be happening if this were a mainline Captain? You know as well as I it would have been put away before it was a week old, BA BALPA would never have let it get this far, and you of all people should be ashamed of some of your inferences. Hypocrite!