PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is CTC the only way forward??
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2004, 08:38
no sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easy Cadet,

Nice argument, however, you are comparing against some of the more dubious practices of OAT, and of an integrated course.

For those who get a good score in GAPAN, or previously passed military selection tests, but who are now too old to do the Wings or other CTC schemes, then CTC represents a real problem for those to get into the industry. Effectively, it bars others from approaching certain airlines, for instance, Monarch.

I see CTC as a god-send to those who are young enough, and who are prevented from entering training unless via loans.

There will always be people, at whatever stage in life, who will want to be airline pilots, or pilots of some sort. Unfortunately, some are not cut out for it, either through lack of raw ability, or personality. I've met quite a few people in training of whom I struggle to see how they are going to get through an interview. But it's their choice. Who has the right to stop them training? No-one. There are others who do have the right skill sets funding their way through training.

Prior to CTCs various schemes, the industry did OK. Most captains/FOs I know who are not in BA, self-sponsored their way into airlines. There is nothing wrong with this approach, and has been used in most other countries around the globe. Basing an argument on morality, in this instance, is unnecessary to be honest.

Last edited by no sponsor; 3rd Dec 2004 at 14:23.