PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Ultimate Twin - What do u think?!?!
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2004, 15:11
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not comparing the mechanics of an engine failure at V1...certainly it's 'easier' in a jet with gauranteed performance...and it's also about the easiest thing we do in sim recurrent....there is a lot more to flying a jet.

It takes newly minted airline pilots (mostly very experienced multi/tuboprop pilots) 100's of hours to get to the point of feeling reasonably comfortable flying jet airliners when nothings going wrong....where will Doctor so and so get that training and experience?.

And don't tell me Flight Safety or whatever...everyone I know who has received training at those sort of places, and who has previous airline experience, comes away dismayed at the experience....a trip to these places every 6-12 mths is better than nothing...and that's about it...I would imagine that in the US at least Insurance companies will demand regular recurrent training to be covered...it will be mostly a box ticking excercise...can you really imagine an extremely wealthy/powerfull owner being failed? And even then the exercises will be canned type scenarios that can be flown by rote once you've done them 5 or 7 times the day before your licence ride. They will be all done on the autopilot, as has become the fashion.

Professional crewed is a different thing...but that seems not to be the market they are aimed at. SP in a jet, even a little one, is a lot to ask someone who doesn't do it for a living. Just look at all the warbird piston/jets, as well as high performance civvy aircraft that have been crashed over the years by people with checkbooks that outstrip their experience.

Delta 6 mapshift is usually conected to IRS drift where no updating has occurred, ie. via VOR/VOR or DME/DME fixes that correct the IRS position. Feel free to PM me if you want a more precise (read long winded) answer.

EDIT...and to answer the thread question. If money was no object and I wanted something I could fly SP I'd go for the C441...the best twin I've flown. If I wanted to employ another pilot then any of the Falcon twins...best jet I've ever flown. I didn't much like the Citation 560 Ultra....and the 767 is just too big to be considered

Last edited by Chimbu chuckles; 2nd Dec 2004 at 15:33.