PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Business Aviation Lifestyle
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2004, 19:30
Dockjock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know that most people aren't necessarily given the "choice" as to what their career ends up being. It is mostly a combination of luck or lack thereof, timing, and of course for a select few the choice as to what company they end up working for.

But what I'm saying is that given the choice, I cannot understand why a normal person with normal goals of a family life, friends, time off to spend with kids, relax, and plan a bbq in the backyard for next weekend etc. would choose corporate aviation given the above conditions.

"It takes a certain type of person" to accept the fact that you are at someone's beck and call 24/7! Yes- a narcissist!

Compare this to airline flying where you get:
1. A monthly roster
2. Defined vacation time
3. Support of an operations/dispatch centre

Is it easier- you bet! But at least your life is your life and not your job is your life. Sure you lose the autonomy that is gained when working in a small flight department. But for what? Work is work and sure you should like it but to me airline flying seems to offer the overall better fit to someone who has the above human needs. No, an airline pilot can never brag to his internet buddies about planning a last minute trip to Dubai on the back of a napkin...small price to pay.