PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bmibaby summer schedule 2005
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2004, 11:09
EastMids

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If EMA-CDG is to stay with Baby despite the wierd flight number changes (back to the old British Midland numbers) and the rather high fare for CDG compared to AMS for example (I had presumed a prelude to putting more costs back in with a Regional operation?), I think this again says something about Baby's strategy.

The Channel Tunnel rail link moves from Waterloo to Saint Pancras in two years time, and with that comes one-station, one-change services between Nottingham Derby Leicester and Paris and Brussels. Journey times are likely to be of the order of four to four and a half hours city centre to city centre - not much different to the time for the total journey with an air component. Just as the air market between London and Paris and Brussels has hugely declined since Eurostar started, I anticipate a similar significant shift to rail from the East Midlands region to those destinations once the new international station at St Pancras comes online. If Baby is putting more capacity into Paris now, its going to come out again in two or three years time. Far better they focus on something else / develop another market, and bmi put a full-service offer into Paris which can be used amongst other things for connecting traffic.

Andy