PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manch low vis go arounds last week
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2004, 15:52
alosaurus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manch low vis go arounds last week

A bit late posting this but as we don't get to see you guys on the jump seat any more I thought I'd mention it.

I was one of the aircraft that had to go around last week because preceeding missed the high speed.

After the tour of north Manchester I too was unable to vacate at BD which was greeted by an irritated female controller asking us to expedite at the end.

At the risk of insulting peoples intelligence I shall cover all the factors

1. For a Cat 2 approach we can only use Flap 22 (not flap 45) for landing. This increases our landing speed by 8 knots increasing landing distance exponentially.

2. Because we have to stick with the glide slope we will penetrate deeper than she would like (ie gligeslope landing distance rather than the threshold landing distance if guided using PAPIS)

3. On the day in question it was wet (this increases our our landing distance by,typically, 250 metres).

4. Normally in cat 2 conditions there is no significant headwind component. This has a similar effect on performance to a wet runway (when compared to a 20 knot headwind day)

With regard to expediting to the end.

5. I seem to remember the ICAO recommended speed for high speed turn offs is 50 knots (you would not want to be vacating at A1 (90 degrees) at more than 10 knots when wet).

6. We are unable to maintain 80 knots to 300 metres then slam on and hope the anti skid stops us going off the end!

I did not pass comment over the radio as there was too much going on but cat 2 approaches are the most risk heavy activity undertaken during routine line flying and it was not appreciated. This is the second time at Manch recently I have had a tower controller getting stroppy (last time I did call on the landline). Although some of my colleagues on the flight deck have serious problems in the IP skills department the controllers have not historically lowered themselves to that standard).

My little BACX EMB 145 has a wing optimised for economical cruise flight. It climbs like a dog (as you know) and its low speed performance is poor. End result longer landing distances than you would expect from something which lands at 19 tonnes (max).

I have been on here before singing the praises of UK ATC (esp Man and BHX) would someone please do me a favour put this in m'ladys drop file.
Edit 4 typos

Last edited by alosaurus; 30th Nov 2004 at 18:57.