PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GAPAN proposes new Instructors Licence
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2004, 14:40
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I did the CPL, when all I ever wanted to do was instruct. And I would be ABSOLUTELY DELIGHTED if a more relevant course purely for FIs was introduced.

I learned all the CPL stuff...and I've forgotten at least half of it, because it was irrelevant. An instructor on R22s doesn't need to know about machmeters and jet streams. OTOH, the very little bit I learned about how to teach, and how people learn, and that sort of thing, was glossed over at high speed on my FI course, with the implication being that we needed to get on to the Real Thing, ie flying.

I suffered as a PPL student from hourbuilding instructors who knew little about teaching and sweet bugger all about people, and who couldn't wait to get an airline job. I ended up traumatised and lacking in confidence, and the fact I didn't give up is down to my sheer stubbornness, nothing else. And I'm not unique. And now, as a newish FI, I struggle to teach my students, because while I had loads of facts thrown at me during all that studying, they weren't the facts I needed.

Yes, if things change, a lot of my time and money doing the CPL will have been wasted. But so what? If something better comes along, am I going to stand in the way because it's too late for me? How dog-in-the-manger-ish can you get? And ultimately, nothing in life you do is really wasted anyway.

Whether this will work or not I don't know, but it's a bloody brilliant idea, about time it came along, and why don't you all stop whinging about oh-dear-it's-unfair-cos-I-did-the-exams and all that crap. If you've got a reason against it, it ought to be better than that. And it won't be any easier, just different. Anyone who thinks instructing WELL is easy has never done it, or certainly never done it right! And I've done enough other jobs to have some idea what I'm talking about here.

Oh, and as for pay....as someone said, helicopter and microlight instrutors make a living, and so will f/w ones, once we remove the hourbuilders.