PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAN - LPL ATC issue
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2001, 13:57
squibbler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

From an EGGP perspective:

On first notification of a divert we ATCOs can accept aircraft upto a certain size (B757) without reference to Airfield Ops. However for the last few days the apron has been heavily restricted due to painting of new stand markings, taxi-lanes etc. At times over half the apron has been unavailable.

This was why there was some delay in accepting this particular divert as the APP ATCO quite rightly needed to check that divs would be acceptable due to the potential lack of space on the apron. Incidentally the apron was fully opened mid afternoon and we took a couple of 757s as divs and could easily have taken more.

Just a couple of points:

alosaurus: Yes, you should have called EGGP on box 2 as soon as you realised your EAT was beyond your reserve; I would recommend any crew in the same situation does the same. In the afternoon 6 crews holding gave us between 30 and 45 minutes notice on their possible intention to divert, we only got 2 of them in the end but we were able to prepare in good time. No, there are no political or comms problems between us and Manch, at least not on the shop floor.

MACC 29 all the time!! : "don't know if we have room on the apron I'll call you back" . Why should this surprise you so much bearing in mind what I have stated earlier?

....."I was on the phone again, saying to Liverpool, that if they didn't allow you to land you would possibly declare a (fuel) emergency"...... The aircraft was in your hold for your airfield. If he is not accepted by his alternate for whatever reason and declares an emergency then it's your responsibilty to get him in to your airfield ASAP. Your above comment implies it would be Liverpools fault if he had to declare an emergency - NOT SO.......... It's the pilots fault for leaving it to the last minute and putting you under extra pressure. We will take any aircraft with a fuel shortage without question, hence the immediate heading and level you received.
The aircraft was probably accepted in the belief he was about to declare an emergency, rather than in response to your posturing.

"why they behaved like this I can't even begin to guess" Well now you know and perhaps in the future you might consider opening your eyes a bit wider to get a bigger picture before sticking the boot in.............

MACC 29 all the time, why don't YOU come and see things over here from our perspective? Lord knows if you did I might even buy you a drink........!!

[ 16 August 2001: Message edited by: squibbler ]