PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LEEDS
Thread: LEEDS
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2004, 12:16
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Air Southwest website timetable and booking engine says you can do PLH-LBA and back in a day.

The flight leaves PLH at 0630 and arrives LBA at 0850 with a change at BRS. The return leaves LBA at 1845 and arrives PLH at 2050 with a change at BRS.

This is Monday to Friday only.

The Sunday programme is one rotation only, so obviously you cannot do it then.

I was aware that it was not possible for LBA pax to do PLH and back in a day.

Flybe apparently will also fly on Saturdays, something that Air Southwest does not apparently intend to do at present on their route.

Not being an aviation professional I don’t know what the percentage of potential day return travellers would be. I can only speak from personal experience in that my wife and I have flown from BRS to EDI, GLA and NCL (all with easyJet) for leisure day trips on several occasions, and each time have seen several other couples and groups going the same thing. We shall do so with Air Southwest from BRS to visit Leeds, a city about which we have read many good things of late. It’s a pity that the reciprocal timings from LBA to BRS, although allowing a day trip in theory, do not really permit enough time in the west country to make it worthwhile.

Furthermore, my son regularly flies the EDI, GLA and NCL routes (and others) from BRS on business day trips, as do others of his acquaintance. Without the availablilty of day trips some of his business plans would have to be re-jigged so that he would stay overnight at, say Newcastle, but would make fewer trips overall. Having the day option is usually more cost effective in terms of his time, although there are times, such as this week, when he will stay ‘up north’ for several days.

I don't want to sound as if I am nit picking. The important thing is a sudden opening up of the entire west country from the Yorkshire area and vice versa. I can see both airlines succeeding with these routes. I hope they do. Full marks for the initiative.