PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus 22 Problems
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2004, 21:25
KitKatPacificuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mmmm All very interesting.

I am a Cirrus Standardised instructor based in the UK, but not bias because I fly lots of different types

There are always comparisons between aircraft. Wouldn't the would be boring if there wasn't.

Different airplanes suit different pilots for different reasons.

The Cirrus SR20 and SR22 are fantastic aircraft, and I love instructing and flying in them. But there are other airplanes I love for different reasons.

I fly a Yak52. I'd take the Yak out for 30 mins to throw it around and do some aeros, but I wouldn't use it for a long distance flight.

The Yak pulls 7G. And boy have I felt it. The Cirrus doesn't, but that doesn't make it worse than the Yak.

Spin and Stalling
The Cirrus does have a high stall speed, but doesn't stall any more violently than anything else. Look at the PA38 if you want an aircraft with an unpredictable stall characteristic. Many a time it'll end up in a spin.

Too expensive to run?
ok 135kts, 180hp, 40litres, that's good for the Robin.
But defending the Cirrus 135kts, 310hp @ 55%, 10us gals(38litres), sounds the same if you ask me. With the excess power to fly at 180kts there if you need it, sounds pretty versatile.

But anyway, I have my pennies worth. Aaah that's better.

I've flown and instructed on about 25 different types. They all have good things and bad things I love and hate about them, but I haven't heard anything about problems with insurance companies or people desperate to sell them.

But hey, we all have our opinions.