PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod MR1 and Phase 3 Shack - progress but by how much?
Old 27th Nov 2004, 19:09
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Jackinoko,
To add to the other posts (and not contradict either), three Nimrods could cover the same piece of water in 24 hrs as 5 Shacks. True the Shack flew for longer but the Nimrod could transit quicker and go further so it was a force extender (same with less).

Weapons wise it could also use the SSQ41 pinger. This had a higher data rate than the 1c but no bearing.

The T24953 lofar could be used as a pair to get a Codar bearing. Individually we could get doppler and an esitmated range based on audio strength. With two or three we could get an LCL (logical comparsion lofar) fix by triangulating the audio strength - quick and dirty. If the target 'cooperated' by starting or stopping engines we could get a Hi-Fix which was based on received time difference for the same event on each sonobuoy.

The Hi-Fix was where the Tac Display came in to its own drawing out the respective circles to estimate the parabolic lines.

In addition to the same torpedoes as the Shack, the Nimrod added 2xNDB. I am not sure if the last Shacks had NDB too, I think it was possible.

The other benefit was that the crew was not quite as knackered after a 9 hour Nimrod flight as 12 hours plus in the Shack. You could also shut the toilet door in the Nimrod - remembering to take your headset with you. One trap ride, the AEO trapper got locked in the toilet without a headset. He was a bit poorly placed to attract attention.

I think the Nimrod also had more crew as the AEOps had to fill the radio, radar and ESM (Dry sensor operators) and Mark 1c - 2 receiver sets and Jez with two as well.

Each Jez set covered 4 buoys and through time sharing one operator could monitor 8 channels.

Jackinoko see PM