PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA MD82 Landing Incident?
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2004, 15:37
Wino
Union Goon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sten didn't really put in "Coordinated" rudder, because at 250 knots its just not an option on the aircraft.

I have read the report (as have you, obviously)

And the points that are necesary here is

10. I have a copy of the FCOM on CDROM(official factory manual from the aircraft) from which AA procedures were developed (because of the flight attendant accident in Miami that also called AA manuals into question) The Rudder load limiter described is actually the one from the b4 not the 600r. That was corrected in a revision later. The B4 Rudder load Limiter was a ratio changer system, like the rest of the industry, not the fixed ratio system in place on 587. Very poor manuals to say the least.

12 Under no circumstance do I believe that Sten INTENDED to get full rudder on the first (or an after) throw of the rudder. As to the controll wheel responses being to agressive, easy thing to say when the aircraft is rolling away from you and this particular aircraft has Tiny Tiny aillerons (inboard only) and some spoilers and can be down right ponderous on response in certain regimes (especially compared to 767 and 777 aircraft, which are similar or larger in size)

13. BINGO

14 BINGO

I have always been aware of the risk of a doublet. However, the aircraft is certified for a FULL input at all speeds (suitably limited by the RLL) just not a full input against a sideslip. So a full input should be allowed coordinated with the rudder.

The problem here is that the aircraft has a tendancy towards a POI and that needs to be corrected and can be corrected fairly easily. It is the same reason that we set AFT CG LIMITS on aircraft. The farther aft the CG goes on an aircraft the more efficient the aircraft gets (But less stable). There is a point at which stability becomes beyond the acceptable level. This aircraft has a stability problem in CERTAIN rarely seen regimes of flight.

It can easily be fixed one of two ways. One is to change the rudder load limiter back to a ratio changer system rather than a fixed ratio changer (somewhat expensive) The other is to further limit rudder travel at speeds of higher than say 180 knots so that the amount of rudder travel allowed would permit a full doublet. The second change would have no effect on performance and would simply be a software change in the FAC.

But as Airbus has never made a mistake, I don't expect to see it.

Cheers
Wino