PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - recording devices
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2004, 21:52
av8boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not coming out as an advocate of general recording, but I have to say that there have been times over the last 25 years when I've thought it would be a good idea. Coordination is not always done over a recorded line, and when within earshot, controllers sometimes (often? always?) approve things "in person" which obviously SHOULD be done over a recorded line (am I dancing around the edge of this deftly enough?). So, for instance, I point out a guy to the controller next to me (by literally pointing at the target on his display and talking to him without benefit of electronics) and he approves it. When it goes to hell, the other controller denies ever having approved the point-out. This is but one example. I think it's safe to say that we ALL know that lots of stuff gets done without leaving a trail. Trying to reconstruct what actually happened in any given situation can only benefit from a better trail.

Now, before you kick me in the head over this, know that I'm equally sensitive about recording everything all the time. I'm just expressing what I believe is a reasonable argument from the "pro" side. How to balance these needs is the question.