PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any ageing Kipper Fleet vets still in posession of a marble or two? Shackleton query!
Old 22nd Nov 2004, 18:40
Shackman

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Teeteringhead,

Sorry, not been on for a few days, so missed out the instant reply. Fairly sure it's what everyone else has said - the Mk2 Phase III. I have some other tech stuff up in the loft (probably under about 25 years of other accumulated rubbish).

There were also one or two 'special editions' which could have been given the Mk 2c name - I believe one Mk 2 was rebuilt with a MAD boom and was given another name, and there was also the prospective diesel engine version which was under development at Luton in the early 60's. However, that could have been a Mk 3 derivative - it received the usual Government support and was chopped! I remember seeing piccies and specs at Northwood in days of HQCC, but they went up in smoke when the OM and HQ building burnt down.

One other possibility is that when the company started rebuilding the Mk 2's to AEW configuration they referred to it as the 2c - I picked a few up from Bitteswell to take to Kemble for painting, and have a vague memory that we signed for something other than 'AEW 2'.

Whatever, still the best collection of rivets ever to grace the sky.

** Pertama **

Last edited by Shackman; 24th Nov 2004 at 18:08.